Real Madrid forward Vinicius Junior (R) accused Benfica’s Gianluca Prestianni of racial abuse during Tuesday’s Champions League match. Photo: AFP
LISBON:
UEFA said on Wednesday it would “investigate allegations of discriminatory behaviour” after Real Madrid forward Vinicius Junior accused Benfica’s Gianluca Prestianni of racially abusing him during a Champions League match in Lisbon.
Tuesday’s first leg of the knockout phase play-off tie was stopped for more than 10 minutes after Vinicius complained to French referee Francois Letexier about the alleged abuse following a confrontation between him and Prestianni.
That came just moments after Brazil international Vinicius scored the only goal in a 1-0 win before picking up a yellow card after celebrating in front of the home crowd at the Estadio da Luz.
After arguing with Prestianni, Vinicius ran over to the referee and told him that he had been called “mono”, the Spanish word for monkey, by the Argentine midfielder.
The 20-year-old Prestianni, who covered his mouth with his shirt as he appeared to say something to Vinicius, denies racially abusing the Real Madrid star.
Real’s England full-back Trent Alexander-Arnold said the incident had left a sour taste in the mouth.
“It’s disgusting. What’s happened tonight is a disgrace for football. It’s ruined the night for the team,” he said.
Real forward Kylian Mbappe called on Prestianni to be banned.
“We cannot accept there’s a player playing in Europe’s best competition and behaving like this,” the France captain told reporters.
“This guy doesn’t deserve to play in the Champions League again.”
Benfica coach Jose Mourinho hit out at Vinicius for inciting Benfica’s players and fans with his celebration.
“When you score a goal like that, you celebrate in a respectful way,” said the Portuguese.
British football anti-discrimination body Kick It Out criticised Mourinho’s reaction and accused him of “gaslighting”.
“When anyone reports discrimination in football, or anywhere, the first priority is that they are listened to and feel supported,” it said in a statment.
“Focusing on Vinicius Jr’s goal celebration or the history of the club, instead of acknowledging the report, is a form of gaslighting.
“This approach not only harms the individual affected but also sends the wrong message to others around the world who may have experienced similar situations.”
Alexander-Arnold hits out
Trent Alexander-Arnold hit out at “disgusting” alleged racist abuse directed at team-mate Vinicius Junior, whose wonder goal gave Real Madrid a crucial 1-0 Champions League play-off first leg victory at Benfica on Tuesday.
The game was stopped for more than 10 minutes due to a racism protocol after Vinicius accused Benfica midfielder Gianluca Prestianni of racially abusing him.
“It’s disgusting. What’s happened tonight is a disgrace for football. It’s ruined the night for the team,” said former Liverpool full-back Alexander-Arnold.
Real forward Kylian Mbappe called on Prestianni to be banned.
“We cannot accept there’s a player playing in Europe’s best competition and behaving like this,” the France captain told reporters.
“This guy doesn’t deserve to play in the Champions League again.”
Brazilian forward Vinicius had just scored the only goal of the game in the 50th minute when he provoked the ire of Benfica fans, and some players, by celebrating in front of the home crowd in Lisbon.
After arguing with Prestianni, Vinicius ran over to referee Francois Letexier and told the Frenchman — who had booked him for his celebrations — that he had been called “mono”, the Spanish word for monkey, by the Argentine.
French midfielder Aurelien Tchouameni confirmed after the game that Vinicius had claimed that he was called a monkey.