One month on, Gul Plaza awaits relief

[


KARACHI:

One month after the inferno that ravaged Gul Plaza, the smoke has faded but uncertainty lingers. For shopkeepers, the anniversary is marked not by ceremonies or celebrations, but by the harsh calculations of rent due, pending school fees, suppliers waiting — and still, for most, no financial assistance has arrived.

In the immediate aftermath, promises were made; shop owners were told compensation assessments were under way and that relief would follow. A figure of Rs500,000 was mentioned as instant support. For many, even that modest amount felt like a lifeline. Four weeks later, affectees say they have received nothing.

Khubaib, who once ran Woodachi Interior at Gul Plaza, now stands inside a much smaller outlet at Gul Tijara Mall. Where his previous shop displayed dining tables, sofas and centrepieces, he now arranges wall frames and decorative items in a compressed space.

“We’re just managing,” he said. “We were told relief would come. We’re still waiting.”

In the days after the tragedy, he tried to convert grief into momentum. He filmed videos, posted them online and responded to messages late into the night. There was sympathy and there were inquiries, but only a handful of orders.

“The emotional response was there,” he said. “But business doesn’t run on emotion.”

For Anas Sameen, who previously operated three shops in the basement selling purses and bags, the past month has felt constricting. He now works from a borrowed corner in his brother’s office at Central Plaza. His storefront exists on Instagram, TikTok, WhatsApp and Facebook. Digital windows have replaced physical shelves. Yet the absence of a proper shop weighs heavily.

“We can’t find a suitable place,” he said. “And even if we do, we don’t have the advance rent. Starting again needs money.”

Without steady income or compensation, rebuilding inventory is a gamble. Every purchase carries risk. Every sale feels temporary.

Before the inferno, shops at Gul Plaza maintained steady stocks. Vendors made advance payments to suppliers to ensure timely deliveries. The blaze destroyed not only merchandise but also investments and planning.

Bilal, whose artificial flower and decoration shop was his family’s only source of income, estimates his loss at around Rs5 million. The shop was owned, not rented, built over years of saving and reinvestment. Losing it meant losing stability.

“So far, no one has provided us with any financial support,” he said. “Still, we are trying by our own.”

The phrase “still we are trying” echoes across conversations. It is spoken quietly, as if resilience has become a tired routine.

On the administrative side, officials say the process continues and they are working hard to ensure fairness and verification.

When contacted, Karachi Chamber of Commerce & Industry (KCCI) President Rehan Hanif outlined the compensation process. Financial assistance, he said, is being routed from the Sindh government through KCCI to affectees.

“This is not a delay; the work has been done very rapidly. There were over two thousand applications. We had to interview each person individually,” he said.

If someone claimed Rs12 million for burnt goods, he said, the team assessed the size of the shop, the items involved and supporting documents, including import papers. Bank statements were also reviewed to gauge business volume.

If a claim of Rs12 million was assessed at Rs8.5 million, it was discussed and finalised. After signatures, data was entered into the system. “We processed two thousand such applications in just a few days,” he said.

“Our teams have been working from round the clock. Even on February 17, people stayed until 10:30pm.”

On the timeframe, he said payments would not be equal for everyone. “Some are set for Rs2.5 million, others for Rs30 million, depending on the individual case.”

He said the Sindh chief minister visited the Chamber and stated that once the complete report is submitted, Cabinet approval would be obtained within five to seven days and funds released. “The money is ready. Given the paperwork, everyone should hopefully receive their payments within fifteen days – ideally before the 20th of Ramazan,” he said.

He added that some payments had already been distributed and others were being called to receive funds. When asked about the total allocation, he said no final estimate had been made.

For shopkeepers, however, the gap between assessment and assistance still feels long.

Markets like Gul Plaza are rarely backed by insurance or corporate reserves. They run on rotating credit, supplier trust and daily cash flow. When that cycle breaks, recovery is not just about replacing goods but restoring confidence.

Amid the ashes, there are signs of quiet rebuilding. Some have rented smaller shops. Some are sharing spaces. Others have moved online. Shelves are being refilled one carton at a time. Social media pages are updated daily. Orders, though inconsistent, continue.

The embers of the fire have cooled, but the embers of effort remain lit.

Family members now help manage online operations, respond to inquiries and maintain a presence ahead of pre-Ramazan demand. They are trying to keep businesses afloat despite limited stock and no physical shop.

One month on, Gul Plaza’s shop owners are not asking for sympathy as much as certainty. Compensation may still be in process and paperwork under review, but livelihoods cannot remain on hold.

Until assistance arrives, if it does, they continue in the only way they know how, rearranging smaller displays, answering customer messages and reopening in fragments. From the ashes of Gul Plaza, they are not yet rebuilt but they are standing.

Leave a Comment