Cylinder explosion in North Nazimabad sparks fire, damages vehicles, prompts probe
Gas cylinder explodes at Bismillah Residency near Five Star Chowrangi in Block D North Nazimabad PHOTO: EXPRESS
KARACHI:
A 15-year-old boy was killed and two others critically injured after a gas cylinder exploded in a residential flat in Karachi’s North Nazimabad area early on Sunday morning, police said.
The incident occurred at Bismillah Residency near Five Star Chowrangi in Block D. Rescue 1122 said the explosion sparked a fire, causing panic among residents.
Three people were taken to the hospital. Tasleem, 70, sustained 90% burns, while Haneen, 40, suffered 80% burns. Both were shifted to the Civil Hospital burns ward in critical condition. Two women and a child were also reported injured and were transported by Edhi ambulances for treatment.
Initial reports suggest a gas leak caused the blast. Authorities said evidence is being collected and the exact cause of the fire will be determined following a full investigation.
District Central Deputy Commissioner Taha Saleem said the explosion resulted from a cylinder blast and that all other residents had been moved to safety. A technical team from the Sindh Building Control Authority has been called in, and residents will be allowed to return once the building is declared safe.
The Chief Operating Officer of Rescue 1122, Dr Abid Shaikh, said the force of the explosion was heard up to two kilometres away. He added that several vehicles parked beneath the building were damaged.
Read: 16 killed in Karachi building collapse after gas cylinder blast
Rescue 1122 said all residents were evacuated safely. The body of the boy, identified as Burhan Mustafa, was recovered from the affected apartment. Officials said his body was taken from Saifee Hospital to Sakhi Hassan graveyard for burial.
Police from North Nazimabad station arrived shortly after being alerted and began securing the area. Fire crews and ambulances were also dispatched.
Sindh’s Inspector General of Police, Javed Alam Odho, directed senior officers to reach the site and oversee the rescue operation. Security measures were put in place around the building and the surrounding area.
Two fire engines and a water bowser were deployed to extinguish the blaze. Authorities said efforts were made to ensure the safe evacuation of residents.
A Rescue 1122 spokesperson said the fire had been brought under control and that cooling and search operations had been completed, adding that the swift response prevented further casualties.
Read more: 25 killed, over 240 injured in LPG cylinder blasts across Punjab
Senior Superintendent of Police Central, Mohammad Imran Khan, said officers cleared the road of bystanders and maintained a security presence at the scene. He added that search operations continued for some time after the fire was extinguished.
Karachi’s Mayor Murtaza Wahab expressed sorrow over the incident and offered condolences to the family of the deceased. He said the injured should receive immediate and appropriate medical care.