PM aide rules out deal, says there has been no talk of any deal with Imran Khan by the government or the establishment
Prime Minister’s Adviser on Political Affairs Rana Sanaullah on Thursday strongly denied offering any kind of deal to former prime minister Imran Khan or his party Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI), claiming instead that the PTI founder had agreed in November 2024 to apologise for the May 9, 2023, riots but later withdrew.
His remarks came a day after he said that attempts were made to find a solution, but Imran was not willing to accept “any deal”. “He is not ready for any deal,” Sanaullah had told a private news channel. “Two serious efforts were made, but not only did he refuse, but his demands were such that the current government could not fulfil them.”
Read: Attaullah Tarar denies any government ‘deal’ with Imran Khan
Information Minister Attaullah Tarar also earlier today dismissed media reports suggesting any “deal” between the government and the jailed PTI founder.
Speaking in an interview on programme ‘Aaj Shahzeb Khanzada Kay Sath’ on a private news outlet, Sanaullah said his earlier statement had been taken out of context. He urged people to look at his full remarks, in which he had clearly stated that there would be no deal.
“There has been no talk of any deal with Imran Khan from the government, nor will there be. The establishment has neither ever offered him a deal nor will it ever do so,” he said.
When asked what Imran had agreed to during a second round of efforts, which involved individuals from abroad who met PTI, Sanaullah claimed that the former prime minister had agreed to apologise over the May 9 incidents but later stepped back.
Read More: Vawda calls Imran deal offers ‘figment of Rana Sanaullah’s imagination’
“He had basically agreed to express regret or apologise for the May 9 events. The DG ISPR had also clearly stated a year ago that the first step in this matter should be a sincere expression of regret and apology over May 9, after which other matters could be considered,” he said, adding that he had no evidence to support the claim.
Sanaullah clarified that no “give-and-take deal” was offered by either the government or the establishment.
However, the PM’s aide added that when the PTI laid siege to Islamabad in November 2024, a discussion took place at the time but no agreement was reached.
Referring to the ongoing issue of prison meetings, Sanaullah said PTI’s second-tier leadership had been told that if such meetings were not used for anti-state narratives, below-the-belt criticism of institutions or press conferences outside jail, then there would be no issue in allowing them. He questioned whether agreeing to such terms could be termed a “deal”.
Sanaullah said the government’s offer was clear and open, adding that Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif had invited all parties to come forward for a “Charter of Stability of Pakistan” so that all stakeholders could sit together to strengthen the country.
He said Imran, due to his “stubbornness and rigidity”, was not ready for dialogue. He also claimed that opposition leaders Allama Raja Nasir Abbas and Mehmood Khan Achakzai were not given any authority to negotiate.
Also Read: Nov 2024 protest was a missed opportunity to secure Imran’s release, Rana Sanaullah says
“The claim that he has authorised Mehmood Khan Achakzai and Raja Nasir Abbas is meaningless. They have no authority. Imran is not ready for political dialogue or to sit with political parties; it is simply not his policy,” he added.
Sanaullah said he had himself asked Achakzai to arrange a meeting with PM Shehbaz, but the opposition leader had declined, saying he would inform him after seeking “permission” from the PTI founder.
He added that as leader of the house, the prime minister had no issue meeting Achakzai, stating that in a parliamentary democratic system, it was not possible for the house leader and the opposition leader to have no contact with each other.