Vessels in the Strait of Hormuz near the beach of Bandar Abbas, Iran, May 21, 2026.PHOTO:West Asia News Agency via REUTERS
Iran’s new body overseeing the Strait of Hormuz said its claimed area of control extends to Emirati waters, drawing a sharp rebuke from the Gulf neighbour.
Traffic through Hormuz, a vital global shipping conduit, has come under Iranian control since the outbreak of war with Israel and the United States on February 28.
Iran, which has blockaded the strait since the war and is charging ships for passage, has insisted that vessels must obtain permission from its armed forces.
In a post on X on Wednesday, accompanied by a map, the newly-established Persian Gulf Strait Authority said it had outlined “the regulatory jurisdiction for the management” of the strait.
Iran’s Persian Gulf Strait Authority (PGSA) 🛳️ published an official map 🗺️ defining its controlled zone over the Strait of Hormuz 🌊.
Eastern boundary: Kuh-e Mubarak (Iran) to Fujairah (UAE )
Western boundary: Qeshm Island (Iran) to Umm Al-Quwain (UAE)All vessels ⚓ must… pic.twitter.com/nEwHZeMSOl
— Embassy of Iran in Bulgaria (@IRANinBULGARIA) May 21, 2026
It said this covered the area between the line extending from “Kuh-e Mubarak in Iran to the south of Fujairah in the UAE … to the line connecting the tip of Qeshm island in Iran to Umm Al-Quwain in the UAE”.
It added that “transit through this area for the purpose of passing through the Hormuz Strait requires coordination with, and authorisation from, the Persian Gulf Strait Authority.”
The United Arab Emirates’ Fujairah port hosts oil infrastructure designed to bypass the strategic waterway.
Emirati presidential adviser Anwar Gargash slammed the Iranian announcement in a post on X today.
“The regime is trying to establish a new reality born from a clear military defeat, but attempts to control the Strait of Hormuz or infringe on the UAE’s maritime sovereignty are nothing but pipe dreams,” he posted on X.
تعودنا على التنمر الإيراني عبر عقود طويلة حتى أصبح جزءًا من المشهد السياسي في الخليج العربي، وضاعت المصداقية بين خطاب عدواني وبيانات صداقة جوفاء.
واليوم، وبعد العدوان الإيراني الغاشم، يحاول النظام تكريس واقع جديد وُلد من هزيمة عسكرية واضحة، لكن محاولات التحكم بمضيق هرمز أو…
— د. أنور قرقاش (@AnwarGargash) May 21, 2026
Relations between Iran and the United Arab Emirates have been severely strained since the war, after Tehran launched missile and drone strikes against Gulf countries in response to US-Israeli attacks.
Iran last week accused the UAE of playing an active role in the war, a claim Abu Dhabi has denied.
The UAE has also strongly opposed Iran’s control of the strait and called for joint action to ensure freedom of navigation through the waterway.
Last week, the UAE announced it was fast-tracking the construction of a new oil pipeline bypassing Hormuz through Fujairah port.
The Abu Dhabi Media Office said the West-East Pipeline would double state oil giant ADNOC’s export capacity through Fujairah, adding that it was expected to become operational next year.
Iran has repeatedly accused Gulf states of allowing US forces to carry out attacks from their territory.
Gulf nations have repeatedly denied the accusations, saying even before the conflict that they would not allow their territory or airspace to be used to attack Iran.
On Wednesday, Iran’s Revolutionary Guards said they had allowed 26 ships, including oil tankers and other vessels, to pass through the strait over the previous 24 hours.
Last week, Iran said “more than 30 ships” had been allowed to pass, including some Chinese vessels.